There's nothing worse than heading out to your garden on a hot summers day to relax on your lush, green lawn and finding it full of weeds! Okay, maybe there is, but we do know how annoying it can be when this does happen. Luckily, you can bring your lawn back to life by removing all of the weeds and bringing your turf's health back to tip-top shape. There's no need to worry, however, Lawn & Weed Expert is here to help make this whole process as quick and easy a possible.
Getting rid of weeds permanently
Even though the majority of weeds are considered a nuisance, it's important to remember that they are just plants. Like grass, flowers and shrubs, weeds will grow and live just like our more favourable plants if we allow them to. Therefore, the best way to get rid of weeds from your lawn is to make an environment where it's difficult for them to thrive. Common practices that allow weeds to grow and flourish include low-mowed grass, compacted soil and water deprivation. By reversing these practices and maintaining a healthy lawn, you will work your way towards a weed-free lawn in no time.
Killing weeds without killing your lawn
There are ways that you can remove weeds from your lawn without affecting your grass. Pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides are designed for this exact reason. Both are designed and produced specifically for weeds, you just need to make sure that you apply them correctly so you do not damage your grass. If you're interested in removing weeds from your lawn in a more natural way, you can do that too (read below)!
How to get rid of a lawn full of weeds
To naturally rid your lawn of weeds, you can follow these steps:
- First things first, you need to examine your lawn in order to understand the types of weeds you are dealing with. Since treatments are individually designed to target specific weeks, you'll need to figure out what weeds are using your lawn as a home before going out and buying the products you need.
- Select a treatment designed for both the type of weed you're trying to target and the stage of growth that it's in. If you plan to target weeds during the spring before the growing season, you'll need to get yourself a pre-emergent. For established weeds that have grown out, grab yourself a post-emergent.
- Remove the weeds by carefully following the directions on how much product to use and when to use it.
- Keep a proper lawn maintenance schedule:
- During the autumn, seed your lawn and aerate if needed
- Give your lawn one final last short mow and fertilisation treatment before the winter
- During the spring, start fresh with pre-emergent and handpick and lingering weeds
- During both the spring and summer, ensure you are mowing your lawn regularly, paying close attention to not removing more than a third of grass at a time
Getting rid of weeds naturally
Removing weeds from your lawn naturally is possible, it just takes a little more time and effort. Spraying vinegar directly onto the targeted weeds is a natural way to remove them from your grass. The vinegar dries out the plant leaves and kills what's above the ground.
An important note to remember when applying vinegar to your weeds is to use a vinegar that contains more than the standard 5% acetic acid. Most home improvement and DIY stores sell vinegar that contains 10-20% acetic acid. This method works best for a few weeds that are spread throughout the lawn. For larger spreads, our advice would be to use a safe and effective herbicide.
Use a professional
Of course, if all of this sounds like too much effort, you can always get in touch with professional like us right here at Lawn & Weed Expert! We have trained, experienced lawn care specialists that can come to your property, assess the weeds on your lawn and deliver an effective treatment plan that will quickly eradicate all and any weeds that are causing you a problem. To learn more about how we can help you, visit our weed control page below.
Our Weed Control Services >
If you would like more information on how Lawn & Weed Expert can help remove weeds from your lawn, please do not hesitate to get in touch with a member of our expert team today!